Tuesday, January 17, 2006

You Asked, You Knew You Would Receive

Clif mentioned these bad boys...Walkers Marmite flavored crisps, an English brand.
and Three Bulls! has actually had them. Marmite flavor! Well, Marmite is yeast extract with spices, salt and vitamins. I've never tasted the real deal, but it is supposedly quite savory, salty and a little bitter and probably gross. Yeast extract is very strong and the chips have a strong, hard to describe salty-savory taste, kind of like chicken boullion. The most likely reason is that yeast extract has a lot of amino acids in it, including glutamate, so it is basically like natural MSG. So when something says "No added MSG!" but includes autolyzed yeast as an ingredient, they are playing you like a fiddle.

Verdict: Surprising push.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Clif said...

Now find some of those Seaweed-Flavored Potato Chips and I'll be really impressed. Of course, since my office is very close to a large Asian market I may have to go find them on my own.

I'm a little disappointed that the Marmite chips weren't, well, more Marmitey. It's a very distinctive flavor that approximates what I imagine toe jam might taste like. Note I said what I imagine toe jam tastes like.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Adorable Girlfriend said...

Gross.

9:19 AM  
Blogger The Uncanny Canadian said...

I've had marmite a few times. I can't say it's pleasant or anything, but it is complex, pungent, and savoury and that does count for something. I think it would be unpleasant if directly placed on potato chips, but marmite seasoning sounds delicious.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Geenie Cola said...

Sometimes PP comes home from work smelling like Marmite. It's all that yeasty fermenting brewing thing he does.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Geenie Cola said...

Oh and I had to remind PP that he's actually had these chips before. They obvioulsy left an impression. I bought them for him at this great SLC English market. It's also where I found UC wheatabix or whatever the heck that cereal you Canadians love is called. :)

2:01 PM  
Blogger Pinko Punko said...

Geenie C is high, I knew I had these.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home